Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Manila Taxi Driver Ripped-off:

I got into a taxi in Malate some time ago, and the driver proudly pulled out some foreign currency and showed it to me. These were crisp bills with a picture of some king on them. "This is European!" he announced with joy. "I will go and exchange it today. A European man paid me with European money!" He was beaming with satisfaction. What a windfall! The money was "European", alright. It was seven Serbian dinars. Not only there was no place in Manila to exchange it but it was less than four Philippines pesos at the official exchange rate! I fell like gloating and celebrating because to me any taxi driver is a scamming, money-hungry demon, but this one was an honest guy and never asked for contracts, additional money, and was very nice and polite. Why is it that only good drivers seem to get cheated, while the stingy and the greedy, dishonest ones have all the money?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

should read 20s or 30s...

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can date them but you should

1) have money to support them ( $800-1000 a month to start)

2) try at least get a hairpiece or something so you don't look so old